Friday, June 01, 2007

How do I describe this?

Even wondered why it feels so beautiful, why it brings a special feeling, something really refreshing and pleasing?
So what is that I am talking about, its the nostalgic smell of the wet earth after the first rain of the season. Its June 1st and there is the official monsoon season. Global warming did change much of nature and disturbed her a lot, but still nature continues her cycle. Yes it is here in my place, drop by drop it was building up in the clouds all this while and then it started to give way...
I was always thinking of how to explain the feeling you get when you sense the smell, its neither sweet, nor unpleasant and I couldnt find a better ajective to explain that smell, but I found a whole word to explain it, "Petrichor " from the greek root "petros - stone" and "ichor - the fluid believed to run in the veins of Greek Gods". So why do we feel it so special and what makes it so distinct? Well it is coming from the soil of course, due to the oils and other chemicals absorbed by the vegetation. Well scientists have conducted much research and coined the word long back, in the early 1960s, and I'm not going into the chemical details of it... for the moment just enjoying the drippetty droppetty rain and her dance in the wind.

1 comment:

AnneK said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. No Buddy is not our baby, though for him we are his parents, his universe.
Oh and I love the smell of earth after the first rain too! You should try and blog more often.