Friday, July 13, 2007

Why Fear this day?

Paraskevidekatriaphobia : - Fear of Friday the 13th!!!
In Greek, Paraskevi means friday, Dekatria means 13 and Phobia means fear of something... Obviously I dont know Greek, just read it somewhere...
I have heard about the superstitious fear of Friday the 13th, and the reasons behind it in Christianity, since Jesus Christ was crusified on Friday after the Last Supper on Thursday with 13 people. For that matter, people are afraid of the number 13, Dekatriaphobia, itself is another phobia on its own.
So here I come to work just like any other day, and start my routine checking of emails and browsing the internet, and there I see the date.. oops... Then I start wondering is it really unlucky, discussed the same with collegues, just checking the year planner for the past two years, and see it has already occured thrice since last fall, October 13, 2006, April 13 2007, July 13, 2007, and again going to appear next June, 2008.
Wonder what the frequency is, it is 688 times in about 400 years, more than any other day... Believe it or not !!!

No comments: